This is a prospective summer resort situated on the northern shore and near the head of Pine Lake, and east of what is known as Horse Point, which forms a magnificent harbor. The village is located on two beautiful natural terraces, from which the scenery is grand. Pine Lake, the most magnificent of the inland lakes of northern Michigan, with it grandeur and beauty, is superb and elegant as viewed from Bay Springs.
The first improvement of any kind at this point was a small dock, built by "Uncle" John Miller. IN 1874 Frank M. Abraham came here from Cincinnati, Ohio and bought a tract of land of the railroad company. He put a stock of goods in the little building at the back, and bought wood and bark. He carried on business a few years and sold out to R.M. Cadwell.
Subsequently a saw mill was built by E. Shay, and in 1882 a change was made in the proprietorship of the property which was of considerable importance, including the building of a railroad to connect with the G.R. & I. Railroad. In May 1882, the change of frim and projected improvements were mentioned in the Boyne paper as follows:
"L. Clayton of Cadillac, formerly from Cincinnati, who bought the whole interest of E. Shay, formerly of this place, has sold a half interest to William T. Addis, of Grand Rapids, and will do business under the firm name of Addis & Co. Mr. Clayton has just returned and will commence business immediately. They will first put up a large boarding house capable of accommodating from fifty to seventy-five men, as they expect to employ that number regularly in their manufacturing business. They propose to saw, dry and dress their lumber before sending it to market. Maple flooring will be made a specialty, and will be fitted for use before it leaves their hands. They will also manufacture furniture to be shipped in the knocked down shape, which will largely increase the demand for labor here. Another project in which every citizen of this village and also of the surrounding country is deeply interested is the construction of a narrow gauge road to connect with the construction of a narrow gauge road to connect with the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad, at or near the Boyne Falls Depot."